It’s time to “get physical”, and explore a few of the many physical benefits of yoga. And no, that’s not an invitation to breakout Olivia Newton-John’s 1980’s hit single. Simply put, if you haven’t discovered the importance of exercise in general, then you’re overdue! There are a variety of ways to work out, and in doing so, you’ll not only ensure that your body stays strong and healthy, but you’ll also help retain a positive attitude and lease on life.
But running on (and falling off) a treadmill is not what we have mind to boost your health and wellness. Take a deep breath, and practice your downward dog —
. . . And Exhale!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past one hundred years, you’ve heard of (and maybe have even practiced) yoga. That’s fantastic! Yoga is a great way to get rid of negative energy, all the while maintaining a healthy weight. Some of the physical benefits of yoga include:
- Noticeable increase in flexibility
- Improved performance in athletic activities (with heightened focus, strength and balance)
- Muscle strength and/or toning
- Protection from injury
- Increase in energy
- Posture correction (can you hear your mother say “sit up straight”?)
- Bone strength (think of having to lift your own weight)
- Improved circulation and blood oxygenation
When you make the conscious decision to educate yourself on health and yoga, you’re actively taking a positive step to better your future. If you want to live a long, healthy lifestyle, then do yourself a favor and pay attention, because yoga benefits can assist just about anyone!
How Do I Reap the Physical Benefits of Yoga?
Because yoga has become so popular and common through the years, you may have some misconstrued feelings or ideas on the practice. Or maybe you feel yogis are a strange species, less down to Earth than you are and that “mind-body-spirit” notion escapes you (or so you think). So, let’s officially set the record straight, and learn some facts on how yoga improves your health if nothing else.
- Yoga focuses on different postures, breathing patterns, and meditation.
- By relaxing your body and mind, you release tension in your muscles and overworked brain.
- If you’re currently suffering from arthritis, the physical benefits of yoga are limitless, including offering relief for sore or burning joints.
- The practice of yoga has been known to boost the immune system.
- When it comes to weight loss, yoga can help reduce food cravings, as well as the bad habit of overeating.
- Yoga can improve both personal and professional relationships. By clearing and cleansing your mind, your mental focus helps to contribute to your overall happiness.
And that’s not even half of the physical benefits of yoga! Although yoga should not be substituted in place of a cardio workout, this ancient practice has been known to help improve cardiovascular health, which in turn, reduces the risks of heart disease. The calming effect of yoga on the body’s nervous system also improves overall circulation, easing some of the affected stress on your heart.
Health and Yoga — What Are You Waiting For?
If you’re searching for a way to lead a healthy and positive lifestyle, then it may be time to try a Yoga class. You only get one body in life, so take care of it now, and reap the rewards!